Intro to Wearables Week 11

Final Project: an exploration of bioplastics and using them in an application.

I made 2 different recipes, two different ways. The first one that I tried was the second method from wikihow, I tried to follow the recipes exactly, but it took me some time to find a food thermometer, so I believe I might have heated it for too long. I don’t exactly understand what happens when it is heated for too long, but hopefully it doesn’t change its properties too much. I also did not realize how liquid the plastic would be after heating, and because it is a hot liquid on parchment paper, it caused the paper to crinkle (next time I will not do this). The second method I used the recipe on fabtextiles, but this recipe doesn’t have any measurements, so I used 4 tsp of gelatin, 1/4 cup of cold water, and 1 tsp of glycerol. For half of the amount I added 3 capsules of activated charcoal powder, to see if I could make something conductive (but after some tests, it didn’t work, I might try referencing this to make it actually conductive). For the other half, I added the liquid onto a piece of gauze to make it stronger (after seeing it from this youtube video). To get this to dry faster, I put it over a vent and tried to remove the moisture as much as possible.

With the bioplastic, I am thinking of making some sort of button array, possibly with this material, but I don’t actually know yet.