Physical Computing Blog 13: The Friendship Game

The Friendship Game

with Tianyi xie & chunhan chen

The Friendship Game is built to test your friendship with your closest friend or the stranger closest to you by selecting shapes that represent how you feel about a given emotion.

We wanted to convey the complicated nature of friendship and communication. After multiple discussions and user-tests, we decided to gamify the disconnect that two people may have while thinking about the same question using abstract shapes and vague questions.

The Friendship Test requires two players, that may be strangers or the closest of friends, to put their new or old found friendship to the ultimate test. Each players are provided with five identical shape halves. They are then given a series of questions related to their feelings on select emotions. All it takes are three correct matches for the players to be rewarded in friendship and candy.

Below is a video documenting our game in action and the schematic that we used for the wiring. Another video will be added of reactions that users had at the winter show.

Some thoughts

We started off with a simple button game, and it transformed into this abstract game involving shapes and feelings. I enjoyed this process because I usually work on projects alone and for a short period of time, so the progression from our original idea was an interesting process.

Starting out, I think the biggest concern I had was that we were trying to do too many things at once, in terms of concept and in terms of wiring. It turned out to be alright in both aspects because we cut down things that we definitely did not need and switched to an Arduino Mega.

Chunhan did most of the wiring and coding with the RFID shield and controlling all the lights along with the other aspects, while I coded and wired the servos and LCD screens. The coding and wiring for the LCD screens and servos were very simple, Chunhan worked really hard to create logic filled code for our game. She also soldered the hardware together so that we could fit it between two wood walls.

T did most of the fabrication and I assisted her. She had a vision of what she wanted the wall to look like and the materials she wanted to use. She laser cut the side acrylic holders for the LEDs and the white acrylic plate that displayed the question. She also figured out the

Chunhan and I 3D printed the shapes and I modeled two of the shapes that were used. I had some difficulty cause I hadn’t used Fusion 360 in a very long time and I am not too familiar with the program, but in the end it all worked out. We went through a lot of user testing about the shapes during our playtests in class. We decided to add a couple of shapes that had “holes” in them in order to provide variety to the users.

We encountered many design and electronic challenges that we actually overcame. Of course there are still things that need to be fixed and added, but overall I think that T, Chunhan and I produced a really fun game that many people loved to interact with.

Below are some of the process photos from the week we assembled and wired our final wall.

To see the progression in our project please see my previous physical computing blogs (9-12)